2009/09/21

Cpl. David Braun

The completed portrait of
Cpl. David Braun


As we work on Project Heroes™, it is important to us to convey an indication of the soldiers' characters - something that is hard to achieve from their official military photos that are quite serious and straight-faced.
Cpl. David Braun was a sincere pleasure to paint. My studio was so cheerful looking at this handsome, smiling soldier as I completed his oil portrait.
I made a preliminary drawing (see below) and put a layer of color on without worrying about being too exact with the drawing as it changes slightly here and there as I apply paint and reassess it.
Each layer builds the painting to a higher level. I build my skin tones from the basic undertones, which in this case was very pink. I work in layers often, but occasionally tackle a portrait more directly, depending on how I think I can achieve the best result.
It was our sincere pleasure to have spent time with David's mother, getting to know a lot more about him. This helped have a true sense of what he was like which is essential in order to create a good portrait.
Every time we meet with the families, I am awed by their openness, their sharing, and their strength. Without their support, we would be unable to do this and we thank them for that, as well as for the incredible sacrifice their soldier made. We hope that this project will help ensure their loved one will always be remembered.
- Susan Abma

The rough drawing and start of
the first layer.


Getting closer to completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment