2012/06/12

Process for Portrait of Andrew Eykelenboom


Corporal Andrew James Eykelenboom
Initial Drawing in Oil, 14 x 18


This was my initial drawing of Corporal Andrew James Eykelenboom. Andrew's mother, Maureen, gave us the copyright to this photo to paint from when I met with her in Comox, B.C. It was wonderful to get to know Andrew through his mother's stories and photos of his life. We both liked liked this photo the best; it displays his wonderful smile; his love of fun, family and friends.

I started with a quick free-hand drawing done in yellow ochre paint
directly onto a high quality, acrylic primed and stretched canvas. Once this drawing was checked, measured, and was satisfactory, I started painting the portrait in many layers, using Walnut Alkyd Medium to 'wet in' the painting each time I started another layer.



The walnut oil medium helps blend the oil colors, and since it dries overnight it means I can work on it every day.


To see Andrew's completed portrait, click here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.303749239653647.88109.301646666530571&type=3


- Shairl

No comments:

Post a Comment